October 28, 2013

A picture of Revival

Tonight our church launched our Fall Revival. The pastor, Bro. Rick Brown, preached a sermon from Acts 4:31. He titled the message "A Picture of Revival".

"After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly."
Acts 4:31
 
Brother Rick stated that they were 4 key components to revival. They are as follows:
 
 
1. Personal Prayer
2. The power in the person of the Holy Spirit
3. The pure Spirit-inspired word of God
4. People
 
During the message, Bro. Rick challenged us to examine our prayer lives and determine if we were merely saying prayers or if we were truly praying.  I had to admit that too often my prayer life consists of hurriedly mumbled prayers before I drift off to sleep. 
 
After hammering home the point that pray is CRUCIAL to a revival. Bro. Rick taught us that to have revival the Holy Spirit has to have reign over our lives and challenging his power thru us.  
 
The third point was that to have revival God's people need to be reading and studying the pure Spirit-inspired word of God.  This point truly challenged me to reevaluate the time I spend in God's word.  I was convicted that I do not spend time in God's word daily.
 
Lastly, in order to have revival, there have to be people - God's people who are willing to surrender their lives to the will of God. Bro. Rick ended his message by challenging the congregation to stand if they were willing to embrace a revival.
 
I rose to my feet without hesitation. I know that I am a child of God and that my salvation is secure. However, I know that I need to be doing more for my Savior.  So the plea of my heart has become "Revive Me, Lord, revive me".


No comments: